We've been seeing it for a while, airline Transavia has had to cancel many flights due to problems with fleet capacity. Transavia would have added 5 aircraft to their existing fleet at the start of the summer season. Unfortunately, 3 of these aircraft will be delivered later than planned. The planned maintenance of their existing fleet is delayed because aircraft parts are not delivered or are delayed. The consequence of the delayed delivery of the aircraft and aircraft parts is that they are also unable to quickly repair 'minor' technical defects. As a result, aircraft from their current fleet cannot be used for flights for a long time, resulting in a lot of duped travelers. Travelers should also take cancellations into account in June. What about the rights of a passenger in the event of a flight delay, overbooking or cancellation? According to the National government you may be entitled to (damage) compensation and the following rules apply.
Care in the event of a flight delay
In the event of delays of 2 hours or more from the departure time (departure delay), overbooking or cancellation, you are entitled to:
- Provision of food and drink (in reasonable quantities).
- 2 emails, 2 faxes or 2 phone calls.
- An overnight stay and transfer if necessary.
Money back or another flight
For delays of more than 5 hours:
- You may cancel your flight and request a full refund of the ticket costs from the airline. The airline must refund your ticket within 7 days.
In the event of a cancellation or denied boarding:
- you can choose another flight or a refund of the ticket. You may use another flight on the first available flight. With another flight to another airport, you are also entitled to a transfer to the original airport.
Have you asked for a refund of the ticket and have not received your money? Then you can submit a claim to the subdistrict court. This must be done within 2 years after the flight date.
You may be entitled to compensation, which you can request from the airline:
- In the event of a cancellation or delay where you arrive at your final destination more than 3 hours later due to operational reasons, such as: a technical problem or damage to the aircraft due to the aircraft stairs.
- In the event of a strike or shortage of the airline's own staff.
- If you miss your connecting flight due to operational reasons and you arrive at your final destination more than 3 hours later.
- If you have been wrongly denied boarding (denied boarding).
- If your flight is overbooked and you have been denied boarding as a result. This does not apply if you voluntarily give up your seat.
The reimbursement is a maximum of €600
- For flights up to 1.500 kilometers: € 250.
- For flights of 1.500 to 3.500 kilometres: € 400.
- For flights of more than 3.500 kilometers, between 3 and 4 hours delay on arrival: € 300.
- For flights of more than 3.500 kilometers, more than 4 hours delay on arrival: € 600.
No right to compensation:
You are not entitled to compensation in the following cases:
- If you arrive late at the airport yourself.
- Bad weather at the airport or during the flight.
- Strikes at the airport (e.g. by air traffic control or ground staff).
- Danger at the destination (if the flight is canceled because it is unsafe at the destination. For example due to terrorism, war or other reasons for the negative travel advice.
- Damage to the aircraft through no fault of the airline. For example, due to a collision with a bird or objects on the runway.
- A technical problem due to a factory defect, sabotage or terrorism.
- For security measures, such as a bomb threat, removal of a suitcase from the hold or removal of a troublesome passenger.
- In case of a medical emergency.
- By decision of air traffic control.
- If you have been informed more than 2 weeks in advance about the canceled flight.
- If your replacement flight arrives within a certain time (no more than 2 hours earlier or 4 hours later).